Friday, August 15, 2008

Enjoying Motherhood...



Lately, I've been learning that I'm enjoying motherhood more. Yes, there are hard times, and yes, it sometimes feels like what I'm doing isn't worthwhile, and that I'll never get to do much of anything for myself... But, lately, I've just been soaking it all in more... I love my kids, and I'm actually enjoying the everyday routine with them more. I'm enjoying the giving of myself to them. I'm enjoying watching them play together, enjoying seeing them give eachother a hug and saying, "Sorry Dax!" after Elora hit Max. I'm enjoying seeing Elora be so motherly to her babies, her stuffed animals, her ponies, Max, etc... I'm enjoying Max look at a duck in a book and saying, "Duck! Duck! Duck!" I'm enjoying the snake shakes that I give Elora (learned that one from my mom...) I'm enjoying the reading of books, the singing of a lullaby before bedtime, and Elora's prayers... I'm enjoying the giggleling, dancing, playing, building blocks, little voices (not so much the big, loud, shrieking voices...) Playing with Elora's hair, and watching Max walk. People say to enjoy them while they're little, because they grow up so fast. I'm really trying to do that now, instead of just getting through another day... I'm enjoying the present, instead of the thinking of "It'll be better when..." I appreciate and am thankful for my children. I love them so much, even though they might not fully understand that... I'm just so grateful to be a mother, and I think a lot of things in my life lately helped me to get to this point, the way I'm feeling now... So anyway, just wanted to share my feelings a little, sorry to get all mushy on ya... But if there's one bit of advise that I'd like to give, enjoy your now. Wherever you are in your life, enjoy the present. Don't be always thinking, it'll be better when... Because then you'll never enjoy life, and never be happy or satisfied, and never appreciate what you have right now...

5 comments:

cerrah said...

Awesome post. It can be hard to get there sometimes, but that's a good reminder that we can all do it. I too find it really fulfilling to be a Mother. I'm always so glad that I'm physically and financially capable (I'm in good enough health to take care of him. We have food and clothes and a home) of giving my son what he needs. A baby hug and kiss is about as rewarding as it gets I think.

Gough Clan said...

That was very cute. It really is so fun to be a mom. I am always thanking Dustin for working 2-3 jobs so that I can stay home. I love when people ask me where I work. It makes me proud to say I work for Dustin and Emma Inc.

Karen Dick said...

Yay for motherhood! What could be more rewarding?

ChristyLou said...

Great post! It's so true that we need to enjoy our now. Thanks for the insight!

Catherine said...

As I read your post, "You Are So Beautiful" is playing in the background. How completely appropriate! Many of my friends lately have been struggling with trying to find joy in motherhood when it can be so overwhelming and exhausting at times. I'm proud of you for looking on the bright side and just being grateful for your children. It can be a challenge, like Sarah said.

Playdates with other moms are grand, but my favorite way to appreciate motherhood are my one-on-one dates with Wade as well as girls night out. Being away from my little ones, even for a few hours, makes me miss them and get excited to see them again! Plus I come home feeling so refreshed and NICER! No more grouchy mommy here! haha :)